Thursday, September 13, 2012

20 Questions to Ask Your College Counselor


Next week is 9th grade Parent College Night.  

One of the handouts we will give the parents is a list of 20 questions to ask us.

Although you will need to modify the questions in relationship to your school community, these questions will help you learn the basics going into the college process.

1.    What do you mean by a “philosophy of best college fit”?
2.    What courses do I need to take to be ready for selective or highly selective colleges?
3.    How should I plan my schedule accordingly?
4.    Which elective courses do you recommend?
5.    What Honors, Pre-AP, and AP courses are available, and how many can I take each year?
6.    What is the PSAT? 
7.    What is the PRA?
8.    What are the differences between the ACT, SAT I, and SAT II Subject Tests?
9.    What should my “testing timeline” look like for the ACT, SAT I, and SAT II Subject Tests?
10.  What college programming is offered 9th-12th grade?
11.  What is Naviance?  How do I access and utilize Naviance?
12.  What should I be doing on campus, at home, and in the summers to get ready for    college?
13.  Are there any college fairs I can attend?
14.  Where do other students from Casady attend college?
15.  Can you put me in touch with a recent graduate who is going to college on my   exploration list?
16.  What is the “pyramid of selectivity”?
17.  If my colleges need a counselor recommendation, how can I help you know me better so it can be nuanced and personal?
18.  How do I access scholarship information?
19.  What is a school profile, and where can I find our profile?
20.  How does Casady compare to other schools in terms of test scores and reputation?